Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Koi Keeping History


Many may wonder how did I get started with koi keeping at such a young age. At the age of 14(1993), my family moved to a new house with enough space to build a landscaped koi pond and garden. My dad found a contractor to design and build a 5 tons waterfall koi pond and garden. Without much experience in koi keeping, we had to solely rely on the contractor to build us a koi pond that has an adequate filter system and crystal clear water for viewing pleasure. After the completion of the koi pond, we added some local kois as well as tropical fishes like patin, belida, lampan, gold fishes, and etc.

Later, we were given some imported Japanese koi by a serious koi hobbyist from Johor and we got fascinated with the colour and pattern. Somehow that still does not spark our interest in serious koi keeping.This hobby continued for a few years until early year 2000, when I purchased some local kois from a local market(Pasar Road) and added them into the pond. Unknowingly, the new kois spread diseases into my pond and it caused a major outbreak. Most of my kois were wiped out and only a few survived. Due to this outbreak, it sparked my interest to learn more about koi treatments and appreciations.

Since most of my kois died, my dad and I visited Cheras Aquarium to look for some new kois and we got so captivated with the size, girth, colour,pattern, and even the way koi fish swims. We purchased a few medium grade imported Japanese kois and from then on, we were very keen in learning nishikigoi better.

No comments: